Thursday, January 31, 2013

#teamsnowday

You know how there are those little poems and things saying teachers aren't just teachers but they're also nurses, counselors, psychologists, detectives, party planners, comedians and whatever else. Well, I'm adding one to the list. We're also meteorologists. We keep our little eyes to the sky all winter long. We squeal over weather texts. Keep eyes glued to the TV for school closings. Watch radar during faculty meetings (yeah, I was totally doing that today). And then we speculate all night about if and when school will be closed.

All this weather talk is happening because we just had half an inch of snow dumped on our little city. Yes. Dumped. That is pure accumulation. We have green and white yards. Breathtaking.

I love how excited teachers get about snow days. We're big kids and we never outgrow the excitement of a snow day.

When we were dismissed from our faculty meeting at 5:00, my principal told us we better not go home and do any snow dances tonight. And then she looked right at me because everybody at school knows I'm the biggest snow lover in the land. I just gave her a smirk and she yelled, "Marcum!" and then I stood up and said, "Well, I'll see all of you on Monday!" And then anarchy followed with excited teacher chatter of snow day possibilities and a long weekend.

I've spent the evening group messaging with my teaching teammates and tweeting with my other teacher friends about the weather. We even had our own hashtags going: #teamsnowday and #supporttheteachers. They're probably trending on Twitter right now. Probably.

And even if the roads are fine in the morning, the wind chill will be around 0 in the morning. We should probably be on the safe side and stay home. For the sake of the kids that stand outside waiting on the bus. Let's do it for them. #teambusriders

Tonight on the local news, they shared that some of the county bus drivers are used as weather spotters to go out and drive some of the routes in the county to check road conditions and relay back to the superintendent and transportation director. I've got a lot of new BFFs to make. Gonna start buttering up to some bus drivers and giving them gifts. #teambusdrivers

Around these parts, a lot of people do some snow day rituals. Wearing your pajamas inside out, flushing ice cubs down the toilet, and sleeping with a spoon under your pillow are some of the things people do. I'm doing them all tonight. And I'm not taking my chances with just one spoon. That's just too risky. #teamspoonsundermypillow
I might need to go get a chiropractic adjustment afterwards, but, it might be well worth it if it gets me a snow day.

Jokes going to be on me when my butt has to get up and go to the school house tomorrow. Even so, it's so much fun to get excited over the thought of a surprise day off. #teamjokesonSarah

Do you have any snow day rituals? Share them so I can add some more to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment