Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Let's Have a Re-gift Party!

Have you ever opened a gift and thought, "What is this?" or "What am I ever going to use this for?" Maybe you just think things like, "This is the fugliest thing ever." Whatever the murmurings may be that go on inside your head, we have all had these experiences during gift-opening moments.
I don't know about you, but I have a hallway closet with an entire shelf, almost two shelves now, dedicated to gifts of Christmas-Birthday-whatever the occasion may be-Pasts.
My friend Ashley and I (we are both teachers) were talking about our upcoming End of School bash that we were planning to have at a local restaurant. Some how we brought up crap gifts that we have gotten, one thing led to another, BadaBing BadaBoom, and the idea of having a re-gift party was born. Genius.
All attendees were told to bring a gift to re-gift. No money could be spent on a gift. It needed to be something from the Closet of Gifts-Past.
I regret not taking a picture of my re-gifting gift that I took to the bash. Descriptions will have to do. My gift held a lovely bottle of Rose scented lotion. The label claimed 'Rose', but should have been 'Poo'. What better to go with the lotion than a box of Rose bath salts. Run some warm bath water, pour the poo bath salts, and soak. Aah! Then for an extra application of the delectable scent, lather on the lotion. Sounds like a wonderful gift so far! Also included was a snowman tea light holder, a 'Don't sweat the small stuff' magnet with a cheesy quote on it, and a notepad with a pig pushing a shopping cart that read, "To Market, To Market". Now, the BEST item, in my opinion, was a sheepskin seat belt cover. Yessssssss! So practical, so useful, so totally stylish. Yeah, it was hard to give all that up. Because my gifts were so classy, it had to be wrapped in a classy way, of course. What should hold such delightful gifts you ask? Why, a plastic grocery sack, of course! Silly!
Now, on to what I received at the re-gift party. I LOVED my gift. No, seriously. We played Dirty Santa-style and I stole my re-gifted gift from another recipient. So, obviously, I really wanted the dissed gift. I received kid toys. More specifically, toys made for boys that are into playing Cowboys and Robbers. I got a plastic gun that shoots and makes a 'pop' sound, a plastic Deputy Marshall badge, and handcuffs! I scored. Big time. Pretty much, I wore the badge on my shirt all night, shot the gun repeatedly at patrons, and handcuffed Ashley to her chair for awhile. The gift should have just had a gift tag with my name on it. It was perfect. For me.

I can see your wheels turning. You are about to go to your hallway closet and rummage through your crap gifts, aren't you? Then you're going to tell all your friends about the re-gifting party you're going to host, aren't you? Yeah, I thought so. You won't be sorry. I hope you get something good to go back in your closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment