Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Post Where I Do Nothing but Complain.

So I wrote this post last night but passed out before I hit publish. I fell asleep on the couch around 7:00 and didn't wake up until this morning. Girl was tired. Luckily I was already dressed for bedtime because I wore pajamas to school yesterday.

So let's go back in time. To yesterday...

I am officially on Christmas break. No school until January 3rd.

My day in noise: "Jingle, jangle, jingle jangle. When's our party? Jingle, jangle. I'm telling! When's our party? Jingle, jangle, jingle jangle. I'm hungry. I'm telling! When's our party? Jingle, jangle. When's my mom going to be here? When's our party?"

The jinglin' and janglin' were the stinkin' bell necklaces that I give the kids for Polar Express day and then always immediately regret it after I pass them out. The bells were put in timeout in the lockers for the rest of the day at around 10:30.

I don't want to hear another bell for a long time. Right now I don't "believe".

You know that moment in The Holiday when Iris tells Jasper it's over? She closes the door on him and then screams and she throws her hands up in the air? And then she says she's going to start living her life. I feel like that. Right now in this moment. And it feels so good.

I'm ecstatic and happy to have this break. It's much-needed for everyone. Teachers, kids, parents. We all need it.

Even though I'm thrilled, when I got home I cried. Full-on cry fest. I felt crazy. And I rarely cry, but I just had too many emotions going on. I was way hormonal.

Today was stupid busy. Way too much packed into one already crazy day. Morning Meeting, school-wide pajama day and Polar Express movie watching, Book Buddies, classroom gift exchange, school-wide assembly, and we ended the day with our Christmas party. I detest party days. They're not fun. It's not a party that I'd ever want to willingly attend.

I was convinced Ashton Kutcher was lurking in the shadows of the school and he was going to run out at any minute to tell me I was Punk'd. I wish I had been Punk'd today. But I wasn't. So there's no excuse. Nothing to blame. It was just pure authentic chaos.

And why do parents come and just stand around at parties? If you're going to be there, maybe you should interact with your kid? Maybe? Just an idea. I had a total of 13 parents in my room at one point. The majority of the time, a large group of them stood behind my desk just hanging out. I even walked up on one mom snooping through some of my things. Like paperwork things. I was not happy and I had to do the whole "Excuse me?" thing. At another point during the party, a Mom and Dad made some really smart aleck comment to me. I think they were trying to be funny and cutesy but some people just aren't funny or cute. And that's all it took to push me over my already fragile edge. I was done. Over it.
I jumped.

And then everyone was able to see me turn into a bear and I started snapping at the adults in the room because I'm attending to one kid that is crying and another that has sugar overload and is bouncing around the room, all the while wishing I was an octopus and could sprout six more arms to help me collect all of the trash. And I did all of that simultaneously. And I'm used to doing this simultaneously on a normal day and I can handle it because I'm a kindergarten teacher. However, today there are 13 other able-bodied and competent (that's questionable) adults in my room that have two working hands and legs and should be able to do something instead of standing in my room taking up space and air, but they just stand. And stare. And criticize. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm short-circuiting. End of vent.

Okay. Not exactly end of vent. Just a little bit more.

The two parents that planned the party brought 2-liters of coke to serve to the kids. RC and Mountain Dew. I about fell out. I have some kids in my room that aren't allowed to have cokes of any kind. We could have at least had Coca-Cola where the purchases supports the Arctic Home for the polar bears. That would've been for a good cause. That and the fact that it's my favorite. But who am I kidding. Like I would have had time to drink anything.

And tonight on facebook there have been all kinds of teachers from my school that have posted positive and uplifting things about how blessed they feel. What a great day it was. How many wonderful things they received. What a great party they had. Excuse me? Did we work at the same place today?

I really do love my job. It may sound like I don't right now, but I do. I love my students. I don't always like adults so much. Sometimes it's just the bombardment of all the other crap that gets in the way and causes me to get bogged down.

I'm beyond thankful for time away. Now onto finishing up my pesky final. Once this B is submitted, my break can truly begin.

And thank the good lord my professor gave an extension on the final. I would have failed because I didn't submit it last night due to falling asleep. Now I have until 11:59 p.m. tonight. Like Mario, here we go!

6 comments:

  1. My friend, release (which you have already done), relax (I think it's safe to assume you've started), and rejoice in the fact that we have 17 days of pure, uninterrupted, peace (can I get an amen)!
    Enjoy!!!
    ❤Tanya
    Ms. Solano's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all have "those" days. I've had a bad couple. Keep your chin up girlie!! I'm glad you posted this so I know I'm not the only whose had a stressful last couple days...xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I no longer teach, I can totally relate to chaotic days where able people do nothing (like the seniors I had).

    Nothing pisses me off more than someone trying to look/snoop/be in my business. What in the world did she have to say for herself?

    And did you really hear parents criticize you? Why the eff did they come if they were just going to stand and judge??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain! Whenever we have a party day, I try to down play it by calling it a special "snack." I'm also evasive as to when we're having it for the reasons that you had to deal with. People can be so inconsiderate sometimes. I bet your snooper wouldn't like it if you went to HER place of work and started going through her desk!

    Enjoy your vacation time!
    -Megan

    http://firstgrademagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day like that we have to take a STAR- Stop Take a deep breath And Relax. I think days like that make the break even sweeter!

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to come follow me and grab LOTS of *freebies*!

    ReplyDelete