Yesterday I noticed tiny blossoms on my Bradford Pear tree in my front yard. This morning--BAM! They were fully open and rejoicing in the sunlight. Sure, these trees are visually appealing. They look nice lined down a long driveway or a street. It lets you know spring is here. Well, whatever. For allergy sufferers, they are the devil in disguise. They are the stinkiest trees in all the land. If I could imagine what a fish butt would smell like, I would imagine it would be much like the scent of the Bradford Pear flowers. I don't like smelling fish butt and I don't like Bradford Pear trees.
A large Bradford Pear sits in all its majesty outside of my classroom window. The fish butt smell blows into my classroom through my a/c unit. My entire classroom smelled today. Even though I know the smell wasn't coming from me, I couldn't help but to feel self-conscious. By 2:00, I had about reached my limit of the smells. My throat was closing up, I was sneezing my head off, and several of my kids were complaining of the smell and their throats hurting. I was so angry with that tree that I would have chopped it down if I had a chainsaw or access to a bulldozer. I am so serious.
In the words of one of my favorite student's from my class last year, in reference to the tree: "Stinky, stinky. Smell like dog poo." I couldn't agree more, dear child. I couldn't agree more.
No comments:
Post a Comment