Monday, November 2, 2009

When You Wish Upon a Star


If you know me, then you know that I have a love for space. Maybe you don't know me, but you'd assume that I'd like space since I am a little nerdy. I've had a weird fascination for the infinity and beyond since a young age. I've always had a dream to go to Huntsville for Space Camp. Don't think I haven't looked into the adult and teacher camps, because I totally have.


When I left school today, I ran a couple of errands. I finished my errand running at 5:30 and began driving home. Of course it was already dark. Boo for the stinkin' time change. I love that initial extra hour of sleep, but when that first nightfall comes, it reminds me how horrible it is. Back to the story: I was nearing my subdivision and was flying around the curves of the road near Western Place Apartments. When what to my wondering eyes should appear...but a shooting star! You're probably thinking, "big deal". In fact, I know you're thinking that very thing. When I told my mom this story, her reply was "Hmm." Not the kind of "hmm" like you're pondering. Just a noise that you make because you don't care. At all. Well, you wouldn't be thinking "big deal" if you had been in the car with me to witness this spectacular shooting light show for yourself. This was no ordinary shooting star. Which, you already know isn't a star at all, but a meteoroid. The meteoroid produces a trail of light called a meteor. But you already knew all that. I won't bore you with the space mumbo-jumbo. This was the brightest one I have ever seen. Plus, it seemed super close and really low to the ground. So close in fact, that if I had wrecked my car at that moment, I feel I could have blamed it on the meteoroid due to temporary blindness or fear that it was going to bust through my windshield. Yeah, I'm sure an officer would have totally bought that story. Usually when I see shooting stars, they are at such a far distance and pretty high in the sky. I completely convinced myself that this meteoroid stayed active through the many layers of the atmosphere and didn't burn out until it hit the ground, which resulted in a meteorite (the left over bit of rock). And I saw it! With my own two pretty little eyes. Now if only my wish would come true...

No comments:

Post a Comment