Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Being 29 is dumb.

Well. I'm 29 now. So far it's dumb. Two days in and I'm already over it. I want to go back to being 28.

I feel like Billy Madison in that I want to run up to small children and grab their cheeks and tell them to "cherish it". 'It' being their youth. It is so fleeting. Sigh.
 

As you all know, my birthday was on Easter. This was a celebration of the ages for me since Easter is one of my favorite days. Easter is top-notch.
I had a good day. Went to church with my family, Mom made my favorite meal, had a birthday pie, and I got an Easter basket and some birthday presents. And then I started feeling sickly. Stupid allergies. So I took a long, hard nap. That helped.
All-in-all, a good birthday, but it was depressing. This is the last year in my twenties. This makes me super sad. I've loved being a twenty-something.

I'm on spring break, so that's great news. I was overdue a break from work. I needed a mental health break. So far, it's been good for me. I've taken advantage of the week off to run errands and go to appointments that I don't have a chance to do during the work week.

Let's start with yesterday. I went to the dentist. I have gone my whole life being cavity free. It's something I've been proud of. Well, that's all changed now. I've joined the Cavity Club. I have a teeny cavity on my very back molar. I was solemn. My dentist tried the whole 4:1 positive comment thing with me. "You do such a great job brushing! Really, you always have some of the cleanest teeth out of all my patients! You have minimal plaque build-up! I can tell you floss on the regular!" Eh, who cares. All I heard was, "You have a cavity". And it was in the long, slow voice like on The Sandlot,
"FOR-EV-ER". 

"You--have--a--cav-i-ty..." 

and then I heard an evil slow motion laugh
"Bah---ha--ha--ha"

At least I still got a new toothbrush. I was afraid cavity offenders wouldn't get a new toothbrush. I always took pride in getting my, "Look Ma, no cavities!" sticker. I didn't get one this time. Thanks a lot, 29. You gave me a cavity. Or maybe it was all of those Reese's Peanut Butter eggs that I've been devouring for the past month...No, surely not.

And then there's today. $200 vet bill. $150 car bill. I feel like I'm in a parade. Throwing out money to everyone! And I got the good news that it's time for new tires! Hooray! Jubilation! After I finished jumping up and down and yelling, "Woo! Awesome! Great news! This is the best day ever!" all around the waiting room of the car dealership, I decided I just needed to go back home. Which kind of had to happen anyway because when I'm at the dealership, I take full advantage of their cappuccino machine. This results in me having to rush straight home to use the bathroom. Cappuccino has that effect on me. You all? No?

My house is so quiet and boring without Daisy around. When I walked in my house, I called for her. It's habit. She didn't come and it took me awhile to figure out why. She's still at the vet, you see. She's having a day full of services. Grooming, shots, blood work, examination...much like a day spa event, I'm sure. I'm sure that's exactly the way she sees it. Probably much like how the Lion gets treated in The Wizard of Oz. I'm sure they sing to her as they clip: "Clip, clip here. Clip, clip there. We give the roughest claws..."

I have a research paper that's due in 4 hours. I can't predict the future, but if I could, I'd say it's not going to be submitted on time. That's my bet. I better quit writing this and start writing that. But this matters so much more. It really does.

And thanks for the congratulations on the new job and birthday wishes. You guys are keepsakes.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! And I felt the same way about my first cavity...I made it to the age of 19 before I got my first one :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! Hope 29 turns itself around for you!

    ReplyDelete