Friday, November 26, 2010

Turkey Fest 2010 Recap.

Thanksgiving was a success.  I ate very well, my friends.  I had two Thanksgiving feast gatherings that day.  The first was at 1:00 and the second at 5:00.  I didn't even eat at the second because I was still so full. Bummer.  I took a massive to-go plate though, so it worked out.

My Granny D (my Mom's momma) had the spread of all spreads.  In my opinion, I think it was the best tastin' Thanksgiving meal she's ever made.  It was super good.  Fried turkey, ham, dressing, creamed corn, mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, cornbread, green beans, turnip greens, corn pudding, broccoli casserole, squash casserole, sweet potato casserole.  I know there was more, but that's all I can visualize on the buffet line.
There was only one minor family dramatical blow-up.  Involving making Christmas plans.  I kind of opened my mouth and was spokesperson for the majority and had the entire family on my side, except for my parents.  Oops.  I was told I had a "pissy attitude".  Happy Thanksgiving.

On a more positive note, I told my Granny that I want a certain item in her house one day.  It may seem kinda morbid to request items from your loved ones, but you gotta put it out there, you know.
I want this baby:
Aunt Jemima.  This little lady sits on top of an old barrel.  She's been around for as long as I can remember.  My cousin Jessica and I used to play with her every time we went down to the farm.  She served us food.  Is that bad and stereotypical?  Probably.  Notice her basket full of bagels.  If you look real close you'll notice teeth marks all around.  Yes.  We used to bite into those fake bagels.  Decades worth of DNA there.  I love Aunt Jemima for all the memories that she brings back.  Plus I sorta collect Aunt Jemimas.  I love 'em.  Check out her boobs.  They're way bigger than mine and I'm jealous.
I told Granny D I was going to take a picture of Aunt Jemima.  She said, "Oh, Say-ruh (this is how she says Sarah), you're a gonna get all that mess in my pantry in your picture."  I love Granny D.  I love how she puts an 'a' in front of things.  Like, "It's a ray-nin'."  Translation:  It's raining.

Onto Thanksgiving stop #2:
The car ride was very quiet since I had a couple of mad parents.  Remember the whole 'pissy attitude' thing.  Yeah.  I was thankful for the arrival of the next house so that I could go and mingle with the other kinfolk that weren't aware or involved with the blow up.  My Granny Marcum decided to cancel this Thanksgiving so that she could go to the beach.  Who cancels Thanksgiving?  My Granny Marcum does.  Family?  What family?  That's what she was probably saying on the beach.  My cousin's wife Leslie decided to host Thanksgiving instead, which was super great of her.  Like I said, I was too full to eat at this gathering.  So, I did the liquid thing and drank instead.  Me and my pissy attitude obviously needed it.  And when I slipped on the floor later that night, I blamed it on a water spill.  So not the wine.

During dinner, UK was a conversation topic in the room I was seated in.  A name was mentioned and I asked, "Who's that?"  Cricket.  Cricket.  And a gasp.  The UK football coach was the one in question and the fact that I didn't know this chap by name was mind-blowing to the family.  Out of both sides of my extended family, my immediate family and I are the only ones that aren't UK fans.  I think it's because it's been crammed down our throats so much that there's no appeal.  I see Big Blue and wanna big barf.
I'm not a UK fan or a country music fan.  And I call myself a Kentucky girl.  Blasphemy!  This is a concern for the family and I think Leslie was trying to psychoanalyze the reasoning of why I don't care for these two essential Kentucky-ish things.  She wondered if I was really and truly born somewhere else. She didn't believe that I was born a Kentucky girl.  Couldn't be.  The conclusion was made that I obviously had some type of Northern exposure during my early years.  I was tainted.
Now, I'm Kentucky (South-central, baby.  Does 'south central' bring a song to your head?  It sure made me sing this line..."South central does it like nobody does".  A little Montell Jordan, "This is how we do it".) down to the marrow in my bones, except for the UK and the country music thing.  I mean, I'm from a high school that had 'drive your tractor to school day' and 'muddy truck day' and we had Prom in a cave.  I know what country is, I just don't care to have it put to music.  I don't know.  It's my prerogative.  Word.

The thing I wanted to take from Leslie's house was this bottle tree.  This bottle tree is weird but cool.  I love things that are a little different.  I've gotta have one in my kitchen.  I've got two empty bottles at my crib so far, but I've got a long way to go.  Bottoms up.

I also wanted to take this little guy.  Leslie said no to this too.  Meet Poppy.  Or Poncho the "Yo quiero Taco Bell dog", as my sister called him all night.

So, yes.  Thanksgiving was good and glorious just as I hoped it would be.  Just another month and I get to see all these crazies I call my family again.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment