Friday, November 19, 2010

Dining Solo.

Ashley and I were at a local restaurant having dinner (obviously) Wednesday evening.  Glancing around, we noticed not just one, but five or six men eating dinner solo.  Granted, these men were all eating at the bar.  This made it way more casual instead of eating alone at a table for one.  None of these men interacted.  They were there completely alone.  None of them were playing on their cell phone.  They just sat.  Ate.  Stared at the TV tuned in to SportsCenter.

We were a bit boggled by the amount of men eating alone.  My question: Why is it so much more common for a man to eat alone than a woman?  I could be wrong, but I feel like if I walked into a nice restaurant and ate alone, people would take pity on me.  Would they think I didn't have a friend to go eat with me?  Would they think I was being stood up by a date?  Honestly, I would feel insecure to be alone in a restaurant.  I'm an independent and self-reliant woman, but I don't know that I'm comfortable enough to go to a restaurant (and this wasn't a fast food place) and eat a full meal completely alone with zero conversation.

Women travel in herds.  We're socially-driven creatures. Sometimes we don't even go to the bathroom alone.  For me, eating is a social event.  You go out to eat for good food, but to also spend time with your family or your friend(s) that you're out with.  It just doesn't seem natural to go alone to a place that is generally spent in the company of others.

Why does it seem so natural and 'acceptable' for men to dine solo?  Do we assume the man is a bachelor that doesn't cook and is out wanting a good, hot meal?  Well, I'm a single lady that doesn't cook, but that's what drive-thrus are for.

So, what's the deal?  To the women:  Have you or would you go out to eat at a restaurant alone?  Would you be comfortable enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment