Monday, July 19, 2010

People are Weird

I think that I fall into the "weird" category. I like some weird things. I say some pretty weird things. I think of myself as a little quirky. But some people are just plain weird in a way that's different than MY weird.

Here are some examples of weirdness that I have encountered lately:

1. I have to get blood drawn once a month to check my liver for the medication that I am currently on. After getting my blood drawn, I went to Wal-Mart to get a few things. I still had the bandage on around my arm. The lady in the check out lane says to me, "I see you had some blood work done." I respond with an, "Um, yeah..." She continues on, "Well, I hope every thing's okay. Is everything okay? You're not sick are you?" WHAT!?! Who asks that? Even if I was sick I'm certainly not going to share it with my check out person at Wal-Mart. Maybe she thought she was being nice and considerate, but I just found it weird and nosy.

2. I was at the grocery and overheard a woman telling another woman that an assortment of bread was "cute". Many things are cute in this world. I can think of hundreds. But bread? That's weird.

3. I'm in Florida right now with my family on vacation. Mom and Dad were down at the beach and Emily (my sister) and I were hanging out in the condo having lunch. There's a knock on the door followed by, "Housekeeping". Grrr. I didn't even think condos were supposed to have daily housekeeping. I go to the door and am greeted by two ladies. They ask if anything needed to be cleaned or if we need more towels. I tell them we're fine, but that I'd take a few more towels. Less we have to wash ourselves, was my thinking. The lady hands me the towels and notices that our kitchen trash can was full. She volunteers to take it out for us. Why sure, kind lady! Also less that we have to do. She looks past me into the living room and sees Emily sitting on the couch. Emily is sitting in her pajamas (think glorified muumuu) with her straw purse clutched around her arm (think Sophia Patrillo from the Golden Girls) while eating a plateful of chips (I think you can picture this on your own). The cleaning lady looks at me and says, "Is that your Mom?" Again, I had one of those WHAT!?! moments. I had to try really hard not to laugh in the poor woman's face. I kindly said, "No. She's my sister. Thank you for the towels."

No comments:

Post a Comment